You can’t leave social media to chance.
We love social media for lots of reasons:
1, It’s a great opportunity to listen to and engage with potential customers, to be helpful, even improve search rankings.
2, We love social media because it drives people to your website.
Now is the time to think of social media differently.
Still counting numbers of followers, likes or shares? We count those things too, of course they are important. But what do those metrics really mean for your business?
Here’s our thoughts on the meaning of social media to a business: it operates like a search engine for your company.
All social networks provide a targeted, relevant and eager community with your content that resonates with them and the more widely your content is distributed through the social networks, the more chance there is of search engines finding your content when people search.
Google, Yahoo, and Bing will match searchers with your site and content. As a result of social signals, search engines happily find and display your content because it’s built to answer the questions your best prospects have. Win, win for everyone.
What does a successful social media campaign look like?
Fortunately, web activities are traceable, so there are plenty of ways to measure social media results and it’s impact to your bottom line. Here’s how:
- Start with a content strategy: What are your prospective buyers’ questions and concerns and how can you help them?
- Create high-value, meaningful content with these buyer needs in mind.
- Add the right conversation starters on social networks, with links to more on your site
- If it’s really meaningful to your target audience, social sharing will kick in.
- You can measure the impact of your social activity on site traffic, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn have fantastic analytic’s packages
- Connect traffic from social channels with conversion to leads and sales.
Social Media Case
Here’s an example from one 33Digital client in the first year of inbound and social activity. This social media program was created as follows:
- Publish 2 new blog articles each week based on original and curated content that resonates
- Share across 3 relevant social media networks for over 200 social messages/posts each month
- Track impact of social media publishing on traffic
- Track social traffic-to-lead conversion
- Identify the strongest topics based on traffic and lead results
As you can see, social media ran a distant third to Organic and Paid Search in generating traffic, but its power to convert traffic to leads made it the most efficient lead generating tool in the mix.
Stop counting likes, and using ‘hope’ marketing. Start measuring results and win.
Once you do stop using ‘hope’ marketing, social media stops feeling like something your younger brother can do during school holidays, and becomes something you will commit to as a core element in your marketing program.
If you are still wondering how to use social media for your business correctly? Which platforms, how much to spend, how to manage and measure it?
Contact us for a free 30 minute evaluation we will answer your questions in detail, look at what you’re doing, and help you get back on the right track.
Since social media is so much more than a tweet or a post, your little brother can help, but make sure there’s adult supervision too.